Back to news

League News


  • 15/04/19
  • By Sal Habib
Football image

Winning smiles from the quadruple chasing Shepherds Arms quartet, (L to R) goal scorers Brendon Kane, Joe Walton (2) and Jimmy Eyles (2) with captain Tom Brook on the halfway mark to the summit following their 5-0 success over Peacock in the P! League Cup Final.

Shepherds Arms proved too strong as they brushed aside Peacock FC to lift the Premiership One League Cup and keep alive their dream of a quadruple quest. Match report below:

Premiership One League Cup Final - Sunday 14th April

Peacock FC ....................................... 0
Shepherds Arms ................................ 5

Shepherds Arms proved too strong as they brushed aside Peacock FC to lift the Premiership One League Cup and keep their dream of a quadruple quest alive.

With the Premiership One league title already secure, this league cup win takes Shepherds Arms, the only unbeaten side in the league this season, at the halfway mark to achieving their ambition with the final(s) of the West Riding FA Sunday Cup and the Landlords Trophy pending in the next 14 days.

The Shepherds Arms made a flying start and saw them take the lead inside two minutes when good work by the lively Jimmy Eyles end with a low driven cross across the face of the Peacock goalmouth ending with a goal poachers instinct of Brendon Kane finding target with a deft touch at the far post for a 1-0 lead.

Five minutes later, Dave Precious saw his goal-bound effort cleared off the line before both Joe Walton and Brandon Kane hit the foot of the post as the Peacock fought gamely to deny the rampant Shepherds Arms running riot.

Peacock suffered a jolt in the 26th minute with the withdrawal of key striker Nathan Smith through injury following two heavy tackles, which denied his side the pace and goal threat he had posed against a solid rearguard of the Shepherds Arms.

Peacock’s resistance finally broke five minutes from half time when an excellent link-up of the lively pair of Brendon Kane and Jimmy Eyles paved an opening ending with a clinical finish from the Shepherds Arms striker Joe Walton who steered the ball past the keeper to double his sides lead.

Arms made a strong start on the turn and saw a Brendon Kane free kick blocked on the line by Barry Rankin before Jimmy Eyles forced a full length diving save from Peacock goalkeeper Jack Whittlestone in the opening minutes of the second half.

However, two goals inside a three-minute spell on the hour mark ended any fight back chance the Peacock harboured. Brendon Kane chased a lost cause following a long ball on the right flank, recovered the ball before delivering an inch perfect cross at the far post, which saw Joe Walton ghost in on the blind side of a recovering defender to steer his header on target for his second goal of the game.

Two minutes later, Shepherds Arms surged into a commanding 4-0 lead when the creative Brendon Kane found Jimmy Eyles with a long range pass and saw Eyles break clear from his marker before planting a low drive on target. Peacock fought gallantly and saw Jimmy Greenhough and Ryan Downes driving their side forward with urgency and purpose against the tide.

In the 70th minute, a quick thinking a long throw-out by keeper Andy Hey found the unmarked Jimmy Eyles on the halfway line before a solo run saw him cover 50 yards and finding target with a sublime finish for his brace of the game and end Peacock’s misery.

Sophie Christian made history in this fixture by becoming the “first-ever female” official to be appointed to a Wakefield & District Sunday Football League Cup Final.

The Premiership One League Cup was presented to the Shepherds Arms captain, Tom Brook, by former English Football League referee and referee’s Development Officer at West Riding FA, Mark Haywood.

The man of the match award, sponsored by Pennine Trophies and the Match ball, sponsored by Kings Head (Pollington) went to Shepherds Arms Jimmy Eyles.